General

The Museum Rijswijk is located in a stately mansion that was constructed around 1790. As a nickname the Museum Rijswijk is called ‘Het Tollenshuis’. Around 1970 the Museum Rijswijk Foundation bought the premises from the city, and a large-scale renovation was carried out. Further expansion of the collection and the activities of the museum resulted in extensions to the museum in 1994 and 2012 respectively. The entrance of the museum was made of glass and steel. From here one has access to the new wing constructed in 2012. Among other things, the halls for temporary exhibitions, the auditorium, and the museums’ cafe are located. On the first floor the Rijswijk Historical Information Centre is located.

The monumental building ‘Het Tollenhuis’ was partially renovated by adding new construction, which had the following assumptions:

  • Addition of Rijswijk Cultural Centre with library archive, educational rooms, and presentation rooms;
  • Office spaces for the museum;
  • Kitchen;
  • New exhibition wing;
  • New depot.

Museum-Rijswijk-low

Installations, Flexibility & Sustainability

The installation of Museum Rijswijk did not completely comply with the desired performance level. For properly conserving art, obtaining this level is of essential importance. The new installation technique not only sees to better conservation of the art, but also to improved performance within the framework of the environment: CO2 reduction, lower energy consumption, improved museum performance, etc. The plan of approach was formulated by Valstar Simonis. This constituted the basis for the design of the new climate installation. The installations for the benefit of climate control of the museum hall were constructed partially on the roof of the new adjacent building, and partially inside the existing premises. The installations for the benefit of ‘Het Tollenshuis’ remained unchanged (heating and natural ventilation).